Monday, December 08, 2008

A superfluity of naughtiness


I read chapter 9 of John Owen's The Mortification of Sin yesterday, where Owens lists symptoms of danger from our sin that we should be aware of and watchful for. Every one stabbed me in the heart, and reminded me just how sinful I can truly be, and how great God's mercy to me really is. I can really say that I am so comfortable with some of my sins, that I have ceased to think of them as sin. But, lest I am tempted to despair, I am reminded of the great quote from Richard Sibbes: "There is more grace in Christ than sin in me!"

Here are some symptoms of danger that Owen listed, from his own pen:

1. Inveterateness:If it hath lain long corrupting in thy heart, if thou hast suffered it to abide in power and prevalency for some long season, without attempting vigorously the killing of it, and the healing of the wounds received by it, thy distemper is dangerous...

2. Secret pleas of the heart for countencing itself and keeping up its peace, notwithstanding the abiding of a lust, without vigorous gospel attempt for its mortification are another dangerous symptom of a deadly distemper in the heart...

3. Frequency of success in sin's seduction, in obtaining the prevailing consent of the will unto it, is another dangerous symptom....

4. When a man fighteth against his sin only with arguments from the issue of punishment due unto it, it is a sign that sin hath taken great possession of the will, and that in the heart there is a superfluity of naughtiness...

5. When it is probable that there is, or may be, somewhat of judiciary hardness, or at least chastening punishment, in thy lust disquieting; this is another dangerous symptom....if thou findest this to have been they state, awake, call upon God; thou art asleep in a storm of anger around thee...

~John Owens, The Mortification of Sin, Chapter 9


Some may find this kind of introspection and self-examination morbid or unhelpful. But I find it helpful to dissect my own superfluity of naughtiness, the better to recognize and hate and fight it. And Dr. Owen is a great teacher in this regard!

No comments: