Thursday, May 28, 2009

Book notes

I have recently finished several books, and thought i'd give you a few impressions...

Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising: I must confess I didn't love this book. it was a fairly interesting story line, but features a "hero" who not only doesn't know he's a hero, but never figures out what it means exactly, and things seem predetermined to make him do what is needed without any volition on his own. I have no desire to read further in this children's fantasy series.

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy: This was an excellent book, interesting for its story, its pictures of both redemption and the consequences of sin, and the ironic, meticulous voice Hardy brings to his work. It is my first time to read a Hardy novel, but I hope it will not be my last. I disagree with my eldest dear son, who see so much overly-romanticized English agrarianism in the novel. But I do agree with my dear daughter-in-law that Gabriel Oake is the best of heroes.

And now, I'm off on a weekend excursion with my dear husband. Hope you all have lovely reading time this weekend, Gentle Readers!

No comments: