Monday, June 22, 2009

God is good in our pain

The first blog I read this morning (here) made me cry. It is well written about indecent acts of sacrilege in this broken and fallen world. Pain is the norm in this life.

The next blog I read today (here) reminded me that pain is meant by God for our good, even when we can't exactly see the big picture. Somehow, in the mind of the omnipotent Creator of the universe, pain is the best way to accomplish certain good ends in this world. I don't always understand it, but I trust Him.

I was encouraged today by the following video from PCA pastor David Wayne (aka Jollyblogger). God is good in our pain. he says, in part, that instead of avoiding all pain and running for our peace and affluence, we should look at what God is doing.

David Wayne - My Battle with Cancer from David Wayne on Vimeo.


Lord, give me the grace to trust you, to see your plan, to believe your wisdom for my life, even when it hurts.

5 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

Thanks for sharing those. The one account gives a new meaning to circumcision and ear piercings! :-( David Wayne's name is familiar, but I am not sure why.

Dawn S. said...

I just heard an interesting discussion on the importance of pain and suffering in human life on "Speaking of Faith," a radio program on religion, ethics, meaning, and ideas on NPR. Krista Tipett was interviewing a Buddist monk and Zen master named Brother Thay, Thich Nhat Hanh. It was so interesting that I found reasons to stay in the kitchen until the program was over, especially the discussion about the value of suffering. Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/o2b84r

Dawn S. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindy Marsch said...

Strange. I saw Dawn S's post a while back and now there's another one today, the same one!

MagistraCarminum said...

Sorry all-
Sometimes a comment shows up randomly in my "needs moderation" box, even though I have already published it. Weird.
Chris