Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Contentment


Last Sunday, I wrote on my other blog about the sticky wicket of contentment in our lives. I mentioned Jeremiah Burroughs, the author of the Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, one of my top-three practical theology books. It changed my life upon first reading it, and continues to influence me. It was one of those works that presented the Scriptures so clearly that i could not help but be altered by it, and i have worn out my copy with reading, rereading, and loaning it out to others.

So it is timely to run across this post discussing the trials and tribulations of Burroughs' life, and understand why the man could so persuasively write about contentment: he had, of necessity, had to exercise those disciplines that aid in its formation.

It is true that the areas where we can most effectively minister to others are often those areas we have struggled with ourselves. That struggle gives us depth and understanding, but it is usually no fun to go through. Oh, that I would learn to cooperate with God in His work of turning my heart to Himself in such times...

No comments: