Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Midweek Miscellany


I read a very convicting article today, written by a young Chritian woman who has had four abortions. Her thoughts and reflections are moving. The fact that she needs to speak to the place where there is the most silence, and she idetifies that as the church, is more than heart-breaking! (Thanks to TB) I found A. Kern's short words on climategate interesting and logical, and this article from the NY Times a cross between horrifying and ridiculous. (Al Mohler has a helpful take on this issue here.) I found these salient points about modesty from Time, of all places, helpful. And while we're looking at culture, did you read these powerful reflections from Anthony Esolen?

3 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

The *Time* piece is particularly interesting to me, considering it's in *Time!* And because I've just about finished Wendy Shalit's *A Return to Modesty.*

I believe I'm developing a crush on Anthony Esolen. ;-)

MagistraCarminum said...

I know, Cindy. I believe I am, too. And ddil Elsa just loaned me Esolen's translation of Divine Comedy. Can't wait to give it a careful look!

Quotidian Life said...

Thanks for the links, Chris. Good picks! You might like Anthony Esolen's book, Ironies of Faith; The Laughter at the Heart of Christian Literature. I read the first several chapters this summer (I reviewed those on my blog in July or August, I think) and I'm diving back into over break. He writes on Augustine: "Time beyond Time" and next up is "Time and the Body:Dante's Divine Comedy. We're reading the Divine Comedy next semester but, alas, I don't have Esolen's translation. Maybe next time. Now, that is when I'll know that I'm really educated--when I read multiple translations and am able to compare them intelligently :)