Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When Helping Hurts


I attended a webinar recently, presented by the folks from the Chalmers Center at Covenant College, on relief work and long-term aid in Haiti. (Thanks Randy, for pointing this out.) I was challenged in my understanding of works of mercy, and felt the few hours were well worth it. So much so, as a matter of fact, I ordered their book and donated to them. That doesn't happen often!

But what was more important is that the Lord used that webinar as a start at a deeper understanding of what Scripture has to say about poverty and our attitude towards the poor. This is one of those transformational ideas. I keep wondering, why did I never define poverty the way they define it? This is so clear, why didn't I understand? I think the Lord is using it in the great overhaul of my mind known as mind renewal.

The folks at Chalmers Center are offering a more general webinar on the content of their book. I am excited to read the book and hear the authors! The webinars begin next week, March 24, and I recommend all of you, Gentle Readers, who are interested in helpin the poor, head over there on Wednesdays for a few weeks. I am sure it will be well worth the time! You can register for free here. I am sure you'll be hearing more about this as i try to spread the word...

No comments: