Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Infinite...

This morning I take a break from Mr. Hicks's worthy tome, and share instead something I read in my quiet time this morning.  It brought me up short and found me wanting.  It is a from a book entitled Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions.  The portion of the prayer that really caught my attention this morning said:
Thy blood is the blood of incarnate God, its worth infinite, its value beyond all thought.  Infinite must be the evil and guilt that demands such a price.
Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions p.41
I am only a little part of that "infinite evil", but how often I go through my days without ever a thought to my corruption being the cause of Christ's suffering, or the costliness of my redemption.  But this prayer ends with the hope that gives me a place to stand:

Yet thy compassions yearn over me, thy heart hastens to my rescue, thy love endures my curse, thy mercy bore my deserved stripes.  Let me walk humbly in the lowest depths of humiliation, bathed in thy blood, tender of conscience, triumphing gloriously as an heir of salvation.
~Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions p.41 
May we indeed, Gentle Reader, walk in this way.

No comments: