Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Books


I don't think anyone ever reads this part of my blog-- not that many read the other one-- but it's a nice way of recording things! So, I think I will try to post about the books I've read here, even if it is not "classical" in nature. So the first one is a distinctly non-classical: this last weekend I read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It was a creative and compelling story, complete with lots of fodder for future books... Card has managed to create a futuristic world that has many twists on our expectations, many reflections of harsh reality, and many lovely ideas.

I honestly can't remember the last time I read science fiction, perhaps many years ago when rereading Lewis' Space trilogy, but this was well worth the dip into the genre again. We listened to this on a trip, in the audio version, and in an interview at the end of the book, Card made the interesting distinction that the difference between science fiction and fantasy (a genre I feel much more at home in somehow) is that on the cover of fantasy novels there will be trees and woodsy-elvish things. On a science-fiction cover, however, there will be rivets of some kind. LOL!

Well, if you want a little dip into an interesting, "riveting" world, I recommend Ender's Game, and I intend to do some more reading by Card.

1 comment:

Dawn S. said...

Chris -

I'm so glad you liked _Ender's Game_. I read it for the first time about four years ago and have recommended it to quite a few of my students, especially the boys who love video gaming - and books? Not so much. It seems to grab hold of their imagination and open the world of literature just a bit. Sometime a lot. One senior boy who had avoided books all his life read through the entire series - 2,000 pages - in one semester.

If you're looking for more Orson Scott Card, pick up _Ender's Shadow_ next. He retells the story from Bean's POV. Card wrote it 15 years after Ender and it's every bit as exciting. I loved it!

Have you finished Harry Potter VII yet? I'd love to hear what you thought of the final installment.

Peace -
Dawn Soleim