Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Harry Potter


OK- so I have been re-reading the Potter books prior reading the final one. I was a Potter dismisser for many years: it wasn't good literature, the "hero" was childish, the author was simplistic, and had ripped-off several good books. Well, at the urging of eldest ds, I finally did begin reading the books. They are still not great literature, but I have grown to appreciate Rowlings as an excellent story-teller. I have enjoyed watching the writing style mature with the protagonist, and seeing the depth of writing and plot growing as Harry does. As the books get darker and more complex, I am hoping Rowlings stays true to the redemptive quest she seems to have started. I really enjoyed re-reading these, and have already jumped in to the Deathly Hallows, which means I will be wandering around, tired and bleary-eyed, until that adventure is complete!

No comments: