Saturday, August 30, 2008

Book notes


I am slowly working my way through a little reading, though my brain is a bit fuzzy and I fall asleep easily. Here are my thoughts on a few recently finished or currently underway...

Scott Card's "Shadow" series sort of petered out for me. I enjoyed Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon, but in Shadow Puppets, I got very weary of the long passages exposing Card's Mormon misunderstandings about children and procreation. I must say this is the only major place where this has bothered me in the whole series, apart from his obvious misunderstanding of Christianity throughout. Still, I'm glad I finished it off. Now to return to Xenocide, and finish the series.

Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsy and Harriet Vane mysteries are just plain fun. And the most fun of them all is Busman's Honeymoon, though it is best enjoyed when one has completed the other Peter and Harriet novels. It is funny, warm, erudite and charming. It was my best reread of the summer!

I have enjoyed rereading Pilgrimn's Progress so far, and am finding that what was true the last (and first) time I read it is still true for me: I find the first part, as we follow Christian on his journey, compelling and endearing. But when we get to Part 2, when we return to follow Christiana, I get bogged down and have a harder time plowing on. But I am committed to finishing it off sooner or later.

I have recently been surprised by Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I have heard good things about it, but I guess I expected a cute little feminine mystery. What I am getting instead is a nicely written account of life in Botswana through the eyes of a lady detective-in-the-making. It has been delightful so far, and along with the light and interesting mysteries she encounters, our protagonist introduces us to life in the South African diamond mines, the dark side of witchcraft in Africa, and a multitude of other fascinating details.

I am also in the middle of The Night Journal, which was given to me by my parents. It takes place in nearby New Mexico locations (Pecos and Las Vegas)and is simultaneously a tale of pioneers and their descendants. Some of the historical background is fascinating, but it's not great writing, and I'm afraid some of it is a little sketchy for me (and perhaps will grow more so.) I'll let you know what I think when I've finished.

Most of my serious reading is just resting on my nightstand, awaiting the time when my brain can again function a little better. But I am really enjoying reading Suffering and the Sovereignty of God. Each chapter has its own theological and practical gems that seem to apply to life right now, and help me gain perspective. If you want an accessible, practical book on suffering, this is an excellent choice. (Of course, my favorite book on suffering is The Crook in the Lot by Thomas Boston, but I am not up to those Puritan prose right now. And while we're on suffering titles, if you have never read R. C. Sproul's book, Surprised by Suffering, it is also excellent, as is the video series by the same title.)

I hope you are all finishing off the summer with some good books, gentle readers. Let me know what you have been enjoying!

2 comments:

Cindy Marsch said...

Glad to learn of your summer reads, Chris! *Busman* is my favorite, too, a title I was unable to get for a few years after I finished the others--now my Betsy is collecting her own set of all of the Lord Peter books. :-) And I'm so glad you just discovered Mma Ramotswe! I don't think I've read all of them, but I've read at least three--lots of fun.

I know your area not at all, but it was beautifully illustrated for me in Cather's *Death Comes for the Archbishop.* I think a book about local pioneers is a lovely thing to read even if not quite up to quality.

If you haven't discovered him yet, try Boris Akunin! His Czarist-Russia police detective/spy/wonder-boy is delightful, and I've just read a volume with another detective--Sister Pelagia. :-)

I'm finishing up Boorstin's *The Discoverers* and want to head to something fun and fluffy next.

MagistraCarminum said...

Cindy-

I love Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop! Her obvious love for the land and peoples here comes through so beautifully, and it rings of truth.

I'll have to look for something by Akunin, as I've never read anything by him. Thanks for the suggestion!