Friday, November 07, 2008

Written on the palm of His hand


After a much interrupted night, with too little sleep, I can sense the Lord bringing me his own encouragement this morning. It comes in several forms: as the blog entry of a dear friend reminding me who I am in Christ; as this passage from Hebrews 4 as part of my daily bible reading:
14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


God is picking me up, weary as I am, and reminding me I am His, and I am loved. This morning's devotional from Spurgeon is based on Isaiah 49:16: “Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.” In part, Spurgeon says:
...What can be more astounding than the unfounded doubts and fears of God’s favored people? The Lord’s loving word of rebuke should make us blush; he cries, “How can I have forgotten thee, when I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands? How darest thou doubt my constant remembrance, when the memorial is set upon my very flesh?” O unbelief, how strange a marvel thou art! We know not which most to wonder at, the faithfulness of God or the unbelief of his people. He keeps his promise a thousand times, and yet the next trial makes us doubt him. He never faileth; he is never a dry well; he is never as a setting sun, a passing meteor, or a melting vapour; and yet we are as continually vexed with anxieties, molested with suspicions, and disturbed with fears, as if our God were the mirage of the desert...Heaven and earth may well be astonished that rebels should obtain so great a nearness to the heart of infinite love as to be written upon the palms of his hands...


These thoughts arm me for facing the discouragements of the day!

No comments: