Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Miscellany



Today, while driving up on the hill to work out and go to the bank and get my hair cut, a mule deer came bounding right out in front of my car. What a surprise at 10:30 in the morning! I am happy to say it was only a surprise. I suppose the deer was out and about because we are overcast and the weather is changing, and he didn't know what else to do with no sunshine.

Victor Davis Hanson has a brilliant post at Pajamas Media, listing ten random, politically-incorrect thoughts. I recommend you read them! I particularly liked his suggestion that the best way to improve American education is to require four years of Latin instruction.

Here is an interesting article for all of us bibliophiles about managing our libraries. Our system for managing our library is called Marilyn-- mt dear mother-in-law enters new books (and has previously entered our 2900+ titles) into an excel spread sheet. We are so grateful for that!

Ken Myers has some excellent thoughts on the mew media and its effects on us all here as he gives a talk at Biola. Good food for thought.

And talk about a church going to the dogs...

1 comment:

Cindy Marsch said...

I'm ignoring the library organization piece (sanity preservation move), but I am suitably distressed at the "Woof and Worship" article.

VDH has a loyal follower in my husband, and I enjoyed his list. One commenter (commentator? I guess you need a salary to be a commentator.) pointed out that those old actors with the deep voices were smokers--I must say my smoking brother-in-law has an amazing voice! And Sunday I enjoyed our pastor's voice, drawn deeper into gravity by a head cold. As for "the old rich" mentioned in one point, I note that hubby and I picked out a brushed-pewter-look bathroom faucet last night at Lowe's! ;-) Poor guy has to install it today, after another trip to the hardware store to buy a yet-larger wrench. Pray for us. :-)