Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Light, and other illuminating things


Recently I attended an online lecture (hosted by Fritz Hinrichs at Escondido Tutorial Service. All of these lectures I have been able to attend have been well worth my time.) This particular lecture was given by Wes Callihan of Schola Tutorials on the topic of astronomy. One of the items Wes discussed was the proliferation of light pollution, as seen in the photos above. I was reminded of this when I saw the interesting photos here. Make sure you click on each photo (after the first one) to see the difference between the lighted structure, and the unlighted one. Now, while I am skeptical that earth hour will "save the earth", as the hyperbolic NYTimes.com suggests, it made me think about light pollution, and wonder if we couldn't do without all those lighted night scenes, generally speaking.

And speaking of light, my pastor used an illuminating word-picture in his sermon from 2 Corinthians 3: 1-11, last Sunday. In discussing the difference between the Old and New Covenants, he made the point that the old covenant was like going into the huge cave at Carlsbad Caverns, when the rangers turn off the light and it is utterly black, and then he turns on a small flash light. Suddenly many things are visible from just that little light. But when you ride the elevator back up to the surface, and step out into the brilliant New Mexico sun, that little flashlight can hardly be seen: that is like the new covenant. Both are the same kind of light, both illuminate the same things, but one is much fuller than the other. I keep thinking about the great gift of living under the new covenant, and wondering in what ways I am still groping with my little flashlight instead of basking in the glory I've been given. (You can listen to the whole sermon here, at the bottom of the list, it is entitled "A More Glorious Covenant".)

No comments: