Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Burpee Catalogue

True confession time. I just got my new Burpee catalogue. I love the Burpee Catalogue. Maybe it is the Iowa farmgirl in my genes, but when the new catalogue comes, I eye it for months. I marvel over the flowers, and imagine my backyard as an English garden full of cascades of color and contrast. I picture my tiny vegetable plot as a fruitful field with bush beans and towering tomatoes and sunflowers reaching heavenward. Even a girl in the high plains desert who is too lazy to actually accomplish such feats should be able to dream, right? In the end, I suspect I will order a couple of the seed packets that are on closeout, and then buy the cut-price tomato plants at Home Depot again. I will work hard getting things in, then poop out until harvest or the weeds or the drought get things, whichever happens first. But a girl can dream...

2 comments:

DebD said...

I garden the same way... Lots of dreams little follow through. I love the idea of a garden but don't do the heat too well and I'm rather lazy about working.

My Dutch grandfather would be so disappointed.

MagistraCarminum said...

One of my favorite books is "The Secret Garden"... I know there is magic in the earth. Just wish i had the energy to better tap it! ;-)