Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Movie Musings

A few notes on movies recently viewed:
Tim and my dad talked me into seeing I Am Legend staring Will Smith. This type of thriller/horror movie is not usually my cup of tea, and had I known more about the short story it is based on before I saw the film, I likely would not have been persuaded... However, go we did, and while it was intense and frightening, it was also remarkably redemptive, from the glimpse of a praying family on the edge of disaster, to real self-sacrifice, to hope. If you think you can take a post-apocalyptic zombie-vampire thriller, I recommend this one.



We also recently viewed the film Joyeux Noel. Even though this is a grossly Hollywood-ized version of the truth, it is an interesting and moving story. While the music element may not have happened in actual fact, and may be a sort of curtsy to art as a god in itself, it still made for a good story. The actors did a good job here, with the possible exception of the tenor, who didn't act well and who i thought had a less-than-stellar voice. However, the movie is worth it to hear the voice-over for Diane Kruger done by one of my favorite sopranos, Natalie Dessay. (And if you want further proof of her amazing talent, look here or here.) One warning: this film is rated PG-13, but I was a little shocked at the content of one scene between two lovers, and later read that it had originally received an R rating, that was changed after Roger Ebert and others complained and campaigned for a change. So take keep that in mind before viewing.

I enjoyed National Treasure 2: you just have to leave your knowledge of history and any worry about implausibility at the door. The acting was excellent, and it was just fun.

If you are looking for light, fluffy, dependable and fun, try this OLD Hepburn/Grant film. Holiday was pleasant to view in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate.




The Iranian film, Children of Heaven, was an interesting film well worth viewing. It is a simple, but inspiring story, and a glimpse of life in what must be a depressing segment of Iranian society. Its characters are engaging, and it was an affirmation that life is a precious thing even in precarious places, and little things make a big difference.

And lastly, here's one to avoid. Even Johnny Depp couldn't save this latest sequel to the Pirates of the Caribbean movie for me. Too weird, too many thin and implausible story lines, and nothing much good to say about it.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Agreeing with you mostly, about the movies you mentioned that I have seen. I Am Legend was...okay...but I did appreciate the redemptive aspect.

We rented and watched about 1 hour of the 3rd Pirates and turned it off in disgust.

But I liked National Treasure II! Not as well as the first one, but I still liked it. ;-)

MagistraCarminum said...

Kathleen- I liked it as well: also not as well as the first one, but I meant to communicate that I liked it despite its silly premise :-)

Kathy said...

Oh, you communicated that just fine! I didn't put the exclamation point there because I was disagreeing with you ;-). Just because I thought it was so fun.