Thursday, January 03, 2008

A New Route through the Bible in One Year


Most years, one of my resolutions is to read through the Bible in the coming year. Some years I make it. More often I skip parts to catch up with myself, or get frustrated and throw in the towel, or use a one-year reading plan for more than one year. This year, I am trying it in a new way. Using the RSS feed here, I get the passage in the ESV (English Standard Version) sent directly to my google reader each day. The text for the passages is there, as are mp3 audio files. I can click on the audio files each morning and listen while I get dressed and make my bed...or at least that is my plan. While I will do more in-depth study in my Women's Fellowship preparation (Philippians this Spring) and other things, this is a good "reading" program for me. I'll try to update in a few months and tell you if it's working.

You can see a variety of reading programs, courtesy of the ESV, here, or a different type of plan here. I enjoyed the second one because it mixes thing up a bit by genre, but I never finished it... And the standard R. M. M'Cheyene plan can be found here.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm reading through the Bible with the plan at the end of the ESV Literary Study Bible. I'm enjoying it so far, but boy, I miss the KJV!! In the future, I may use the same plan, but with my regular Bible. It's funny, as I find myself replacing certain words and phrases with the awesome KJV words ;-). Like when reading through Luke, I had to say, "My soul doth magnify the Lord," and "Behold the handmaid of the Lord, let it be unto me according to thy word," instead of the updated translation.

MagistraCarminum said...

LOL! I know what you mean, Kathleen. Which version does the Literary Study Bible use? I like the literal quality of the ESV, but it lacks a certain poetic sound that I love about the KJV, even though I grew up in a Catholic household, where I read the Jerusalem Bible. But my background as a singer has firly ensconced certain phrases, like the Magnificat you mentioned! And Psalm 23 just doesn't sound "right" to me in any other translation :-)