Thursday, October 09, 2008

The depth of pain



What we need is to validate and give voice to the depth of pain. I don't want to merely sound the triumphant horn of the gospel (though I do want to do that); I also want us to recognize that there is a reason it is called suffering, affliction and tribulation. We may be shocked when suffering people speak openly of their pain, and concerned when it sounds like they are questioning God's goodness, wisdom, or power. But if that makes us uncomfortable, then the Bible will make us uncomfortable. As we will see, the pain of some of the Psalmists was raw and at times quite disturbing...

~Dustin Shramek, "Waiting for the Morning during the Long Night of Weeping", Suffering and the Sovereignty of God. (P. 180)

1 comment:

Quotidian Life said...

Dear Chris,

Thanks for sharing this. I have read this chapter, written by Dustin after the death of his newborn son. I'm not sure if it is written in the book, but Dustin and his wife were serving in the Middle East at the time. They are a lovely, godly, couple and Dustin is a gifted preacher, teacher and pastor. I expect to hear more good things from him the the future.