Thursday, October 16, 2008

Longing for reading time


I am not making my way through nearly as many books at the moment. Part of that is my resumption of some of my regular activities-- which is a good thing. Those activities also take up some reading time: especially since my worldviews text has been revised, and I am needing to get through all of it ahead of my students! I am also needing to research again, and doing more reading about mediastinoscopies and sarcoidosis than I would like! And it doesn't help when one keeps resetting her Mp3 player accidentally to the beginning of her audio book and loose her place and spend most of her listening time trying to find it! All that to say, my book consumption is definitely down so far this month.

On my theological titles: I am continuing to plug away at Suffering and the Sovereignty of God. it is encouraging, and accessible. We are studying Owen's Mortification of Sin in Sunday School, and it is convicting me of my own comfort level with my own sin. It is well worth the read. Our women's group is reading Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die, and it is a vintage Piper devotional, full of truth.

On my non-fiction titles: I haven't picked up Climbing Parnassis in so long that I should probably take it off my list. The half I've read is very good... The same could be said the The Writer's Workshop. I hope to get back to both of them soon!Reading Lolita in Tehran is a fascinating book, full of a culture so different from mine that it almost mesmerizes me. I find often that I don;t agree with the viewpoint of the author, but I find it fascinating to see her viewpoint anyway.

On my fiction titles: We are listening to the audio book of Morality for Beautiful Girls in the car right now, and finding this series of books endearing and charming. We just finished Tears of the Giraffe, but the progress is slow because Dave and I are trying to listen together, and our time in the car is somewhat limited. Home to Holly Springs is the troublesome book on my mP3 player. I am enjoying it, but my lack of technical expertise is bothersome. I was able to download this through our libraries to listen to when I walk, and when I don't manage to reset my place! And I need a light title to hold in my hands, so I have just pulled down Murder Must Advertise for when I want light in print.

I am longing for the day when I am well organized, and don't have too much to do, and feel well, and can read. Do you think we will read in heaven? I hope so!

No comments: