Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The captured heart


I had already run across this article when my son, Tim sent a link to it with the word, "Yikes" attached. Yikes indeed. Betsy McCaughey says in part:
On Friday, President Obama called it “inexcusable and irresponsible” for senators to delay passing the stimulus bill. In truth, this bill needs more scrutiny.

The health-care industry is the largest employer in the U.S. It produces almost 17 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product. Yet the bill treats health care the way European governments do: as a cost problem instead of a growth industry. Imagine limiting growth and innovation in the electronics or auto industry during this downturn. This stimulus is dangerous to your health and the economy.


I could be depressed about all this. It seems to me that we, as a nation, are reaping what we have been sowing, and it is likely things will only get worse. But that doesn't account for the abundant mercy of God. God may bless his people by bringing revival to this land and changing the political and cultural climates. Or he may bring blessing to his people by allowing them to live as a persecuted people and be forced out of their complacency. Either way, God is good, and whatever happens around us, we have a foundation to stand upon that is sure and firm. That should keep us from despair and fill us with real hope rather than the cheap kind being sold by politicians.

I was reminded today about the amazing words of Martin Luther in a pretty tough time during his life. Dr. John Currid reminds us:

When Martin Luther stood before the ecclesiastical rulers of his day -- they who had power to banish him or even to execute him because of his views of the Bible -- the Archbishop of Trier asked him this question: "Do you or do you not repudiate your books and the errors which they contain?"

Luther famously replied, "Since, then, Your Majesty and Your Lordships desire a simply reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason -- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other -- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God."

In this day, we need to ask the question, simply, what is it that has captured our hearts?


Come quickly, Lord Jesus. And if you tarry, capture my heart so I will stand for you wherever I stand.

1 comment:

Mrs. Edwards said...

The facts about the stimulus bill in that article are nothing but frightening. Funny how the President has inspired people to throw caution to the wind and abandon even liberal principles such as the right-to-privacy. After all, hasn't the left been screaming for years that the government should never come between a woman and her doctor? Sigh.

You're quite right: God is good and if this political climate brings people to Him, then we can be thankful.