Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The preaching of the word


This is my last nostalgic post about how I came to believe in Reformed theology as the Truth. And it's not really an incident, but a theme that runs throughout my adult (and almost adult) life.

Reading the word of God, the Bible, seriously and over a sustained period of time, and hearing skillful men exposit it over many years. That is how I became Reformed. It started with that youth group bible study (where we actually did more bible study than singing or playing volleyball), and with Tim and Bev walking me through its pages. It continued with the teaching we received at Urbana, and as Dave began leading me through God's word. It continued in Maryland under the amazing preaching of Glen Knecht, and the Sunday School class taught by David Coffin and Ken Myers. It was encouraged by friends, and continued under the faithful ministry of Henry Fernandez.

I once asked my daughter-in-law's father how he came to be Reformed, worshiping as he does in a small Southern Baptist church in Minnesota. His reply was that he studied Scripture seriously, and over time that is where it leads. It is certainly where it led me.

And as I think back, none of this was because I was smart enough to seek out the amazing people who taught me. That was all of grace. God made my path cross with so many amazing men and women over the years that were willing to take the time to teach me. What an over-flow of grace!

No comments: