Monday, February 02, 2009

More Memories


I have posted a couple of memories about my confrontation with Reformed theology (here and here), spurred on by my reading of Young, Restless, Reformed. Today I thought I'd write about my earliest memories.

Like most everyone in the US, I had been introduced to the Puritans (a pejorative term, mind you) through study of the Salem witch trials, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edwards' sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." All of these were used by various public school teachers to show the ridiculousness of these Reformed folk. For me, "Puritan" was synonymous with "intolerant" or "egocentric prig". That was my assumption when I attended a bible study with my friend M.

M. took me to her youth group, a non-denominational group, loosely overseen by the ministerial group in our small Ohio town, and taught by a couple from the local Presbyterian Church. I cannot remember which bible verses were being considered that night, but Tim and Bev, the leaders, walked us through it. When they came to something that discussed the death of the saints (perhaps even the thief on the cross beside Christ), Tim made the comment, "And when we die, we enter either into God's presence in heaven, or we go immediately to hell." Being the sassy girl that I was, I said, "Unless you're Catholic, in which case you go to purgatory." Tim didn't miss a beat, and said to me, "Purgatory is not biblical, and let me show you why." Well, I never! Didn't he understand this was an interdenominational bible study, and they should be more inclusive than that? I left irate, intending never to return.

The next summer, M. talked me into trying bible study again. "It's different now," she said. "For the summer, these two college guys lead it, and they are really fun and nice. Try it again!" So, I did. One of those fun college guys gave me a copy of Knowing God when I asked him about hell. It was in those pages I understood the work of Christ for the first time. The other college guy has been my husband or the last 28.5 years.

And as for Tim and Bev, I went back to their bible study the next year, to learn this time. They discipled several of us, and lead us through the doctrines of Scripture. Bev is now with the Lord, and I don't know where Tim is. But they did an amazing work with the young people of our town. I will always be grateful for their love for us, and their love for the Lord, not to mention their willingness to speak the truth.

No comments: