Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Sobering Movie


Last night we viewed the movie, "Hotel Rwanda". I have not studied the historical facts that this movie portrays, but know enough of the history of Africa to hear the truth is offers. It is a heart-breaking truth. I was reminded again of the former Zambian pastor Derek Carlson, who spoke at our church of the atrocities of the Mugabe government, or the more current situation in Kenya. I am reminded of the way Jesus lamented over Jerusalem, when he said, "How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!" (Matthew 23:37) I feel that sense of lamentation, and I wonder at how much God's heart must ache for His people in Africa.

This movie also reminded me of the older movie, "Tears of the Sun", also moving and difficult to watch, but perhaps a worthwhile reminder of what sinful men do to each other. And perhaps, by contrast, a reminder of the gratitude we owe to our Heavenly Father for his restraining influence in our world...without which we would all live in the tragic circumstances of a Rwanda, or a Zimbabwe, or a Kenya.

No comments: