Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Final Winter Reading Challenge Update




Well, it's almost the end of February, and time for my final Winter Reading Challenge update.

I finished Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card last night. What a fun story. Card writes sparsely, but weaves an interesting tale. This book follows the first book, Ender's Game, and tells the same story from the viewpoint of a different character (Bean), thus accomplishing a fleshing out of the story that couldn't be done in one novel from one viewpoint, but still is full of twists and turns and plain old fun. I believe Card is a Mormon, but his spiritual sensibilities are a welcome addition to the story, where a person of faith is not treated as either ignorant or a manipulator, and where the big questions in life are not the butt of jokes. This was just fun!

Still in the "slogging through" pile are Helprin's Soldier of the Great War (about half-way through this almost 800-pager) and just into the first section of Roper's The Writer's Workshop. More on this one as I get a little bit more into it...

Left untouched is Bonfire of the Humanities alone. I'll set that aside for another day.

You can see my full list (and all the rest are completed!) in the side bar, with links to my reviews of them. As I glance through the list, Life at the Bottom was probably the best of the list. Dalrymple is an amazing writer. The one I enjoyed the least was Blue Like Jazz. Many thanks to Kathleen for getting me reading this winter!

No comments: