Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Remembering the Truth

One of the challenges during any time of trial is remembering the Truth when your mind and emotions are so distracted. The distraction comes from pain, worry, information overload, the love and care of others, feeling sorry for ones self, and a myriad of other temptations. And I find I am prone to all of these! But when I focus on these things and forget the truth, then I am jsut set adrift in a self-centered abyss. It's an ugly place.

So, what do I do to keep focused on the truth? Of course, I don;t do so perfectly. I have plenty of moments of being overwhelmed, but if I stay there I would despair. So here are some of the things that the great Christians of old, and the Scriptures, have taught me to do. These are my weapons in the day-to-day battle that goes on in my heart and mind when the enemy wants to drive me to despair...
  • Dave and I memorize Scripture together. This week's verse is Isaiah 40: 29-31. Last week it was 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10. And the week before that, Romans 8:29-31. God's Word is like a balm.
  • We also pray together and read together: good reading, like Spurgeon's Morning and Evening (which really seems like he wrote it for me, not 150+ years ago!) And we pray and read separately, too.
  • I rehearse God's promises before His throne. "Lord, you promise to be sufficient for me, be so!"
  • I try to think of others and send cards or e-mails, or pray for them. I recall that this is really not the "Cosmos of Chris" even though I'd sometimes like it to be, and see how the Lord would use me even in this place to minister to others.
  • I listen to wonderful, uplifting music, watch cheerful movies, and watch my flowers grow. These are healthy distractions to keep me from wallowing.
  • I do the tasks at hand (maybe not as fast or efficiently as I'd like). I try to keep moving on what God has called me to put my hand to.
The "sound track" to this illness is a CD I got from Sovereign Grace Music shortly before my diagnosis called "Come Weary Saints". The music is wonderful, in the contemporary worship style. But the words are deep and true. I have it on my mP3 player, my computer and in the car, and find myself putting it on when I need to take my thoughts captive. I concentrate on the truth in the wonderful words, and force my mind to dwell on the Truth. What a lovely weapon to have in my arsenal for this battle!

One of the songs I have been listening to frequently lately is below. Everyone should have this CD to encourage them!

As Long as You Are Glorified by Mark Altrogge

Shall I take from Your hand Your blessings
Yet not welcome any pain
Shall I thank You for days of sunshine
Yet grumble in days of rain
Shall I love You in times of plenty
Then leave You in days of drought
Shall I trust when I reap a harvest
But when winter winds blow, then doubt

Oh let Your will be done in me
In Your love I will abide
Oh I long for nothing else as long
As You are glorified

Are You good only when I prosper
And true only when I’m filled
Are You King only when I’m carefree
And God only when I’m well
You are good when I’m poor and needy
You are true when I’m parched and dry
You still reign in the deepest valley
You’re still God in the darkest night


© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI)

No comments: