Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Some thoughts on prayer

What a blessing it is to pray: that is, to know there is a powerful God who will listen to me, and answer me, and give me what is best for me however stupid I am being. That is comfort! Even when I can't think of what to say, I can go before the Lord and lay my feelings before Him and know He cares for me. Wow.

I have attended churches my whole adult life that took praying seriously, and had pastor who preached about praying. That is a blessing, too! One of the best teaching tools passed on to me by my current pastor was Spurgeon's little pamphlet entitled, "Effective Prayer". It revolutionized my ability to pray in the tough times.

Tim Challies had a helpful post recently on things that can hinder our prayers. These are things worth thinking about.

And Stephen Altrogge had a helpful post recently on praying for friends who are in times of trial. Good reminders.

No comments: