Saturday, April 04, 2009

Outside my comfort zone


Next Sunday, on Easter, I am going to do something I have not done in over a year: sing a solo for special music at church. Now I have been leading music, and before last spring I was singing on a regular basis for more than 20 years. But in the last year I have not sung at all. And this time feels a bit outside of my comfort zone. Why? During the spring and summer, during two surgeries and radiation therapy, I didn't feel up to much singing or being in the spotlight. And since my third surgery last fall, the mediastinoscopy that meant a tube was inserted and run along my esophagus, my voice has been unpredictable and I can't count on it. Add to that the fact that the drug I take has some side-effects that are detrimental to the voice, and I felt pretty done in.

But this week, the pastor sent out a request for some help with music for Easter. And the thing that occurred to me is that not to offer would make me a hypocrite. For years, I have preached at others regarding the fact that music in worship is an offering, not a performance. One needn't be perfect, just obedient and willing. And here I was, saying "Oh, my voice is not what it used to be: it can crack without warning, so I guess God doesn't want me helping out any more." I felt very convicted of my own double standard: one when it makes other people uncomfortable, and another when it makes me uncomfortable!

So, I will be singing during the prelude time, as we prepare to begin worship. I will be offering an amazing song arranged by Bob Kauflin, with original text by John Newton, called The Look. The words are reprinted below. Off I will go into the space outside my comfort zone, Lord willing, seeking to be obedient and use the gifts God has given me. Please pray for me, Gentle Readers!

The Look By John Newton (original lyrics), Bob Kauflin (alternate and new lyrics and Music)

I saw one hanging on a tree
In agony and blood
Who fixed his loving eyes on me
As near his cross I stood
And never till my dying breath
Will I forget that look
It seemed to charge me with his death
Though not a word he spoke

My conscience felt and owned the guilt
And plunged me in despair
I saw my sins his blood had spilt
And helped to nail him there
But with a second look he said
“I freely all forgive
This blood is for your ransom paid
I died that you might live”

Forever etched upon my mind
Is the look of Him who died
The Lamb I crucified
And now my life will sing the praise
Of pure atoning grace
That looked on me and
Gladly took my place

Thus while his death my sin displays
For all the world to view
Such is the mystery of grace
It seals my pardon too
With pleasing grief and mournful joy
My spirit now is filled
That I should such a life destroy
Yet live by Him I killed

© 2001 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).

1 comment:

The Cubs Fan said...

I wish I could come and hear you sing. I think that's awesome that you're doing it!