Sunday, April 26, 2009

Some Dickensian thoughts


Tonight we hope to watch the final installment of Masterpiece Theater's version of the Dickens tale, Little Dorrit. We have really enjoyed it so far, though neither of us have read this novel, Dickens fans though we be.

In discussing Dickens recently with a friend at church and with my ds, I was reminded of one of my favorites, Our Mutual Friend. We also loved Bleakhouse and Hard Times, and I loved Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist and David Copperfield, and of course, A Christmas Carol. Part of the magic of Dickens is how he has you slog through seemingly disconnected lives, like multiple themes in a symphony, and at the proper moment, they all come together to form an exciting and cohesive climax. This is typified in Our Mutual friend, Bleak House, and to some extent in the movie version of Little Dorrit. lot of coming-together has to happen in tonight's episode to bring it all off.

Hope you can enjoy it too, Gentle Readers. And who among you are Dickens fans? And what are your favorites?

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Hi Chris,

I, too, watched the final installment of Little Dorrit this evening! It was wonderful.

I haven't read this novel, but I'm certainly looking forward to reading it!

What a beautiful parallel to the Gospel!: Love, Forgiveness, confessing one's love, simply coming as you are with nothing to offer and being loved anyway. I think this book would be great for a book club. There's alot to glean from this story!

My favorites? A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol, and Oliver Twist...I also have Bleak House and The Pickwick Papers on my Wish List. :)

A fellow Dickens Fan,

Fiona

P.S. I'm also a fan of Matthew Macfadyen. ;)