Saturday, March 15, 2008

Miscellany



Well, it's beginning to look a lot like Spring around here, as far as spring looks in Northern New Mexico at 6500 feet... We started pruning the old apple trees in our back yard this morning, before the characteristic wind storms kick up this afternoon. Spring is dry, and windy (I like to say that Arizona blows through on its way to West Texas this time of year), with warm sun during the day and frigid temperatures at night. But if you look, the signs are here that things are beginning to grow...like my tulips!

I love pruning (though my shoulders and elbow don't necessarily...) There is something about doing the hard thing-- cutting away the superfluous and harmful and encouraging the right and the true-- that is extremely satisfying. These are the same reasons I love teaching. It is, likewise, an agricultural endeavor that involves pruning and training, and standing back and marveling and watching as things grow.

And in the spirit of teaching and instruction... this morning on the BaylyBlog, Tim posted the following hilarious chart. I just had to share it for my two sons-- one recently married, the other engaged. You might as well face up to the realities now, fellas!


And lastly, today I completed another quilt (pictured below). It is entitled "Cerca de Jardin", which is Spanish for "garden fence", or at least I hope it is! It is a fence rail pattern, and is intended as the wedding gift for some dear friends later this month.

No comments: