Monday, March 10, 2008

On fathers and husbands...especially mine


This morning Tim Bayly, my son Ben's pastor, has a thought-provoking post on our culture's hunger for fathers, and the theological implications of our hunger for our Father God.

My morning blog/news tour then turned to this amazing article in the Washington Post about a sacrificial love being played out as a devoted husband continues to care for his wife as she declines with a fatal neurological disease. (Thanks to T.C. for the link.)

Reading these this morning has made me so very thankful for my own dear husband. He has been a fabulous father, who sacrificed many things for his family. Because of his dedication to his boys, they did not grow up with a burning "father-hunger" that debilitated them, and they are both becoming adults who are taking their places as men who will be strong husbands and fathers. I know they will be good dads and husbands because of the example they had in their father, and the way he taught them about their Heavenly Father.

And I have no doubt that his commitment to me is an absolute one until one of us dies. I watch him serve me daily, and am shamed by the little things that irritate me about him. I know that if we were in the situation of the couple in the above article, Dave would serve me in the same way, because his serving of me is a reflection of his commitment to his God. And God has been so very good to give me such a man!

Thank you, Dave, for your steadfast love and bravery in serving your Lord by serving your family. I love you!

4 comments:

Quotidian Life said...

I'm going to try to read the articles that you linked to later on--thanks for sharing these thought. I too, am thankful for a husband who gives so much for his family. If I had to name his hobby it would probably be something like, discipling young men--his own sons, other youth, college students, etc. We are blessed!

JungleJimm said...

Way to go Dave.

Drop me a line if you get a chance

Jim

MagistraCarminum said...

Dear Jim,
I'd have Dave drop you a line if I knew who you were...send an e-mail and tell us, or leave more info here :-)
Thanks!
Chris

JungleJimm said...

Jim Snyder formerly of Laoveland

junglejimm@aol.com