Saturday, September 27, 2008

Longing for the Mitford life...


I recently became aware that online, through our county library, I could access 3-week downloads of audio books to listen to on my mP3 player. That means fiction books, biographies, etc-- something in addition to theology titles which my cheapness can get for free! So yesterday I stopped in at the library to sign up for my account, and then downloaded my first book. In the process, I discovered how to turn off the shuffle function on my player, which will help my listening! Hurrah!

The book I downloaded is Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon. This ios her newest novel. She writes simple, happy novels of life in small-town America. Her small town is named Mitford, SC, and it is a place where all Christians get along, and politeness mostly reigns. Where quirky characters are endearing, and mean characters are just waiting for redemption.

As I walked and listened to this book this morning, I thought of how very nice it would be to live in Mitford. I would like to be where theological differences fade as compared to treating one another with loving kindness. I would like to be where there is always a happy ending, and redemption and good relationships just around the corner. In truth, my longing for Mitford is a poor reflection of my longing for heaven, where every tear is dried and there is no more sin. Oh, for that day...

Instead, this morning I also read about the 27 million slaves worldwide today, and about politics, and about the immorality and hopelessness of our age. Our lives are not Mitford lives, alas, but I long for the day when we lay down the weariness of this life, and trade it in for eternity in a perfect place, ruled by love.

1 comment:

Someone said...

Hi! I just found your blog while searching for the words to Sovereign Grace Music's It Is Not Death to Die. I'm going to take a look around. :)

I like Mitford, too.